Summer is here!
Finding effective ways to keep cool is super important as temperatures rise. Heat stroke, especially among at risk populations is a very serious condition that often requires hospital care. Plant allies in the form of essential oils and hydrosols can help us keep cool so that heat doesn’t accumulate in our systems or build to cause more severe health problems.
Some of my favorites to help stay cool and refreshed include:
- Peppermint – the essential oil and hydrosol of peppermint are both super cooling and offer a refreshing herbal breeze when spritzed on the skin. You can also add fresh peppermint to you fruit salads or smoothies to get that super refreshing quality as well!!
- Spearmint - like peppermint, the essential oil and hydrosol are both incredibly refreshing and cooling with a slightly sweeter aroma.
- Lavender – oh, what isn’t lavender good for?! Besides being one of the best essential oils for soothing inflamed skin conditions and sunburns, lavender helps keep us cool, soothing our minds as well as helping clear heat from the skin.
- Vetiver – this smoky and earthy essential oil is very cooling and can be mixed into your favorite hydrosol to create a refreshing blend that helps you navigate the heat.
- Eucalyptus - while this isn't one of my favorite scents, eucalyptus is known for it's heat clearing abilities. This is a really strong essential oil, so proper dilution is incredibly important with this one.
- Rose – I LOVE everything about roses. Perhaps this love comes from the deep heart opening quality of this herb or from it’s multitude of uses or from it’s incredible beauty and intoxicating scent. Either way, it’s a useful essential oil or hydrosol to use to sooth and cool the skin. It’s gentle enough that when properly diluted (essential oil) it can be used around the face to help cool this most yang aspect of our bodies.
* If using essential oils, remember to dilute them appropriately and not use straight undiluted oils on the skin *
Some great ways to incorporate these botanicals into your summer include a cooling foot bath with a few drops of a cooling essential oil, diffusing an essential oil blend, adding a few drops to your favorite lotion or oil or creating a hydrosol + essential oil spray that you can use directly on your skin as needed, like our Summer Salvation and Botanical Breeze cooling mists. A few drops can also be mixed into aloe vera gel and used post-sun exposure to soothe the skin and whisk away heat.
While not an essential oil, or hydrosol, watermelon is one of the best foods to help keep us hydrated, our electrolytes balanced and to clear heat that accumulates in the summertime. Try a fresh watermelon and lime salad as a refreshing treat or juice!!
Enjoy exploring natural ways to keep cool and what scents and blends speak to you this summer!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure, or prevent any diseases. The information provided is for educational purposes only. For health care advice, please consult your Primary Care Physician or other health care professional.